Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Abolition of the Laity

I seldom recommend books to people. There are a couple of reasons I don't: 1) Books are usually not that great, and 2) Even if I think a book is great, I don't presume what is great to me will be great to others. However, today I want to compel anyone keenly interested in the Church to read The Abolition of the Laity (Whose US title is unfortunately The Other Six Days) by R. Paul Stevens. This book is an amazing call for the people of God (laos) to be the Church. The bifurcation of God's people as "lay" and "clergy" has damaged the church, its mission and more importantly the Kingdom of God. Stevens presents a compelling theological vision of a church filled with all of God's people doing the work of the ministry.

4 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, December 21, 2005 , Blogger ~marie said...

i hadn't heard of this book, but one thing i like about our church is that they have a saying, "every member is a minister". overall i find that to be ture. it is a real comfort to be surrounded by "ministers" here in anderson.

 
At 3:39 PM, December 21, 2005 , Blogger Brian said...

I think we should abolish laity, too. Who needs 'em.

 
At 10:17 AM, January 01, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lead! This is my heart and might be good supplemental reading for a seminar I'll be doing at ATS in March.
Kenna

 
At 10:27 AM, January 19, 2006 , Blogger JD said...

Is it time to hand in our credentials?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Saraland United Methodist Church