Sunday, September 04, 2005

Some Observations on Gethsemani

The following is from my journal while at Gethsemani:
I am in prayer for the worldwid body of Christ. Being at Gethsemani has propelled me to be so. It is hard, coming from a United Methodist background with virtually no contact with monasticism, not to see this place as really odd. It is hard to believe that sixty men live in this place, wearing strange clothes, singing psalms, praying (at least) seven times a day, and making chocolate, fruitcake and cheese. The guestmast said that the basis of what they do comes from Acts chapter two. It is interesting how many ways people interperet how to live out the communal life of Acts chapter two. When we were watching the leadership summitt I was reminded that Willow Creek Community church bases their church on the second chapter of Acts two. I feel that the monks of Gethsemani and Bill Hybels' church seem worlds apart. I wonder if they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Saraland United Methodist Church